A changeable week is ahead. And I do mean changeable. The best way to describe it might be using the image of a yo-yo. Very up and down. Time for some Dramamine!
But first I must address the much warmer than expected temperatures today. How many of expected 50 today? Sunshine? Yes. 50 degrees? No. The cooler air behind yesterday’s cloudiness never got established. That will change Tuesday forecast.
Tuesday, we have a storm approaching from the west and it will pass well to our north. Temperatures rise steady Tuesday and Tuesday night to the 50s by Wed. Then after the front passes through a new storm develops along that front and moves NE just to our south and brings accumulating snow Wed night- Thu (see map #1 above) We get cold for a couple of days before we start to warm back up again with good chances for rain on Sunday.
After the 12th of February, the pattern looks to be very mild to very warm from the west coast to the Mississippi River. East of that it will be cooler, especially in New England. There may be a couple of bouts of light snow to deal with, and perhaps a much larger storm. If you look at the map #2 below, and notice the circled cut off low in the upper levels of the atmosphere, you can see the ingredients for a major storm if it can combine with a piece of energy diving south out of Canada. But that is 10 days away … so let’s deal with this week first.
- Tuesday: Cloudy. Cool. Periods of rain.
- Wednesday: Warm start. Rain showers ending. Partial clearing. Colder in the afternoon. Thickening clouds again late. Rain/snow develops after 10 pm and changes to all snow overnight.
- Thursday: Snow ends early. Clearing. Windy and cold. Several inches of snow are possible by the time the snow ends (I know we’ve thought that a couple of times before and nothing came of it … maybe this time? The set-up is very supportive of at least some snow. What could go wrong? Cold air takes too long to become entrained and it rains more, snows less.)
- Friday: Sun and clouds. Cold. Chance for snow showers late/overnight as warm front approaches.
- Saturday: Milder. Mostly cloudy.
- Sunday: Cloudy. Soaking rain possible. Mild.
- Monday: Sun and clouds. Turning cooler again.