I said this the other day about today’s weather system: “I will keep an eye on Sat/Sat night as this system may re-develop along the mid-Atlantic coast. If so, how close? How much moisture? Coastal areas or inland too?”
s it turns out, for many, it is good news: Not much going on. The path of the upper low is key. It should stay just to our west, giving the central PA to north central VA as the sweet spot for steady wet snow/rain. We may see a snow/rain shower late and overnight. But should be about it. A coating of snow is possible in any snow shower, mainly on cold surfaces.
Behind this system we will have more cool weather. Please remember this is the middle of March, our average high temperatures should be near 50! Not 40 or 45. So, cool weather will continue through next Friday, with cold weather on Wed/Thu. Do not worry warmer weather is on the way ...
I spoke of a 4 week pattern for Dec, Jan and Feb. It looked to continue into March. Based on this idea, it predicted cold weather's return with very limited computer model support. It was right. Now the cold period has been extended beyond the 7-10 days, and the warmth is bring delayed, but the idea certainly had merit.
The challenge was always going to entering spring time, which is a season of change. Seasonal shift in patterns often occur giving different results than what occurred in winter. This appears to be happening: The cold is extended, and the warm portion will likely be cut short. But again, the 4-week idea of cold, mild, warm, had merit.
Over the next 10 days a transition will be occurring to a more western trough and eastern ridge. This would be a wet pattern for much of the nation, which is great for the areas that have been dry.
- Saturday: Mostly cloudy. Chance for wet snow or rain showers/drizzle
- Sunday: Partly to mostly sunny. Blustery. Cool.
- Monday: Early sun then increasing clouds. Chance for showers.
- Tuesday: Cloudy. Chance for rain showers. Clearing. Colder late.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny. Windy. Cold.
- Thursday: Sunshine and some clouds. Still cold.
- Friday: Most challenging day in the next 7 actually. Warm front will advance. If it comes in fast and rains, we stay very chilly in the 30's or if it lifts to our north we soar to near 60. I have my doubts on either of those. The warm front will advance toward us and try to move through Fri night with some showers. But the daytime should start mostly sunny. Increasing clouds late. Not as cold.