- Besides periodic cold days and some ice/snow events, what extended winter weather have we had for us to return to?
- I have my doubts on the lasting nature of the pattern change.
Our Nor’easter is wrapping up and beginning to pull away. Some wrap around moisture may try to move back into our area later this morning/early afternoon and bring some light rain/wet snow but not a big deal. Over-all the storm was seriously impactful for those along the coast with heavy rain, winds gusting in the 45-65 mph range, power outages, and coastal flooding. Inland areas got heavy rain, heavy sleet, and some wet snow as well.
Locally the storm was about 75% of what I expected. The big gap in the rain/sleet mix in the evening was a bit surprising and led to less of the rain/sleet mixture. There was some snow that mixed in overnight as you can look at the traffic cameras along I-81 near the Tremont, and Frackville exists and see the ground is white. A fitting conclusion: little or no snow as has been the case for this winter.
For this week: the pattern change is underway. Last week ended with a trough out west and a ridge in the east … by this weekend, a ridge will dominate the west and a trough will dominate the east. A total flip is occurring … but again, will it last? I do not think so. I believe it will break down and we will be back into a pattern reminiscent of December/early January. This will provide storminess and up and down temperatures. However, the difference here is that the supply of arctic air appears to become plentiful. This may lead to greater opportunities for snow as we move into February and then March.
Back to this week:
- Today: Gusty NW winds at times. Cool. Chance of light rain/wet snow showers late morning into early afternoon.
- Wednesday: Mild as weakening storm system moves through the Great Lakes and then brings some late-night rain.
- Thursday: Light rain ends. Turning colder. More seasonal. Windy at times.
- Friday – Sunday: Seasonal winter cold. Sun and clouds. A snow shower or two is possible.
- Sunday-Monday: Weak system passing to our south may bring some light snow.