The weekend turned out about as expected, however, Mother’s Day had a beautiful 4 hour period filled with sunshine from about 9:30 am – 1:30 pm that was a bonus. Then the clouds and brief showers arrived. There were some potent thundershowers just off to our NE as well.
But now it’s Monday. A new week. And a very different week at that: Summer-like … with some hesitation …
You might remember these from my post late last week: “Couple of caveats regarding this much talked about warm-up or “sudden summer” that I am hearing about next week:
- The average high temperature for the middle of next week is in the low 70s. So temperatures reaching the upper 70s or 80 degrees is mild/warm but nothing unusual. It is more unusual to stay so cool for so long in the middle May.
- A potential struggle for control will take place between a big High pressure to our N-NW and a big High pressure off the east coast to our SE. If the NNW High wins, we are much cooler. IF the SE High wins we are much warmer.
Lesson: 1) Upper levels of the atmosphere warm up faster than the surface (typically), so the tendency is to overstate the warming on the first day. 2) Upper levels also cool off faster than surface, so the tendency is to overstate the cooling on the first day. Conclusion: be careful. We do not live at 5000 ft.
Out of all this I conclude that we have a warm Wed and “hot”, only because we are not used to it, Thu, however cooling begins Friday with a cold front dropping SE out of Canada. Out winds will turn to N-NE and progressively cool us off through the weekend. The coolest will likely be Sunday. It will try to warm up again on Monday, but with clouds and shower/storms moving through it will not be able to warm up as much. So, this much ballyhooed “suddenly its summer” warm-up pattern gives us three days of summer-like weather, that is temperatures above 80 degrees. A nice break from the chilly and wet? Yes. But a “sudden summer” pattern? Not in my humble opinion, as it looks cooler again for the following week.
- Monday: Mostly sunny. Breezy. Milder.
- Tuesday: Sunshine and beautiful blue skies. Warm.
- Wednesday: Sunshine. Very warm.
- Thursday: Partly to mostly sunny. Hot.
- Friday: Partly to mostly sunny. Shower of thunderstorm possible.
- Saturday: Partly to mostly sunny. Cooler.
- Sunday: Partly sunny. Chance for a shower. Cool.