Meanwhile summer heat is building in the central states and it will try hard to move into our area, but it won’t make it. A strong system will dive SE from the Great Lakes to the NJ coast late on Saturday. This system will give us the potential for strong to severe storms (heavy rain, wind and maybe some hail). The setup is quite good for a complex of storms to move through.
When you get strong warm advection (warm air moving into a region that is cooler) from the SW, yet the upper level flow in the atmosphere is from the NW and is bringing in cooler air, you have what is called differential advection (warm at one level, cool at another). This often leads to a mass of storms that are strong, produce a lot of rain and some hail, esp. in the central USA. Living further east we can get a complex like that on occasion, or it can grow into a strong curving line of storms that produces brief heavy rain, and strong damaging winds. The setup signal is strong for one or the other. Regardless, the second-half of Sat looks stormy.
Points for Next 7 Days:
- Gusty Showers/Storm: The first of today will be cloudy, with showers and a gusty thunderstorm being possible until 2pm. After that slow clearing.
- Chilly: Highs Wed, Thu only in the 60s.
- High Heat: In the central plains temperatures will soar to near 100 by mid and late week. It will get as close to us as Ohio, WV and Virginia.
- Stormy: Due to some storms to our west Friday, there may be some extra clouds on Fri but it will remain dry. Saturday looks to be wet and stormy the second half of the day.
- Breezy and Cool: Sun and Mon look cool and breezy.
Wednesday: 64. Showers likely, chance of thunderstorm through 1 pm. Breezy afternoon. Chilly overnight.
Thursday: 71. Mostly sunny. Puffy clouds. Very refreshing.
Friday: 76. Mostly sunny. Some clouds. Pleasant with low humidity.
Saturday: 76. Partial sunshine with increasing clouds. Good chance for showers/thunderstorms.
Sunday: 74. Partly sunny. Chance for a shower. Windy in the afternoon. Cool.
Monday: 74: Mostly sunny. Breezy at times. Cool.
Tuesday: 77. Mostly sunny. Very nice. Warmer.